Question:
Cannot find primary authoritative DNS Server after server shutdown unexpectedly?
IntelAMD
2006-10-04 16:15:41 UTC
Suppose I have a Windows 2003 server as named as DRAGON as also act as Domain Controller. DNS server is installed in DRAGON (IP is 192.168.77.12). The domain name is ETERNALDOMAIN. Due to recently power outrage occured twice, the zone file (eternaldomain.com.dns) was corrupted. The DNS server could not be started due the file corruption. I, then fix the file corruption (CHKDSK) and replace zone file from the backup copy. As I replaced the corrupted file from backup, the DNS seems works OK.

However, I have experiencing numerous errors and warning from Event Viewer after I reboot the server. Before the the power outrage, there are no errors found from Event Viewer.

1)
When I run NETDIAG, it reports as
:
DNS test......... Passed
[Warning] Cannot find primary authoritative DNS server from the name 'dragon.eternaldomain.com' [ERROR_TIMEOUT]
The name 'dragon.eternaldomain.com' may not be registered in DNS PASS - All the DNS entries for DC are registered on DNS server '
Three answers:
Rob
2006-10-04 16:23:41 UTC
have you used the ipconfig /flushdns or /registerdns commands?

They might help reset things....

Rob
antirion
2006-10-04 16:41:34 UTC
Power surges can wreak havoc, only part of which may be apparent. You may have more trouble than just a corrupt zone file. Did you check DNS to make sure dragon.eternaldomain (192.168.77.12) is listed as the primary name server for your domain? If your NS record is missing/corrupt, DNS will function (sort of), through cached records. Internet name resolution would be fine, but you'd have increasing problems with internal name resolution over time. You'd also be getting error messages just like what you've listed.

If this isn't a fix, you may have to totally wipe DNS and do a complete rebuild. Worst case, you may have to DCPROMO, kill the whole domain, then start fresh. Hopefully, it's just a missing/corrupt NS record.
mallie
2016-12-04 11:51:27 UTC
i anticipate you've a DSL modem and it does no longer sound like you employ wifi. If the modem lighting fixtures aren't any further on then the challenge is with your ISP. they could properly be down for some reason. call them each and every time this happens. If the lighting fixtures are on then turn the modem off and your computer off. Wait a 2 minutes. turn the modem on and then the computer. With DSL you'll have filters in any respect telephone plugs in the homestead. those might want to be damaged through voltage spikes and also you much ought to get new ones.