Question:
Something on which I can write that isn't a computer? (No smart remarks about typewriters or notebooks)?
?
2015-03-10 09:50:54 UTC
I am a writer by profession and I use Microsoft Word a lot of the time. Here recently, however, I got an encryption virus that destroyed all of my documents and I lost a few different partial manuscripts. Now I don't really trust my computer to not do this to me again, so I'm wondering if there is something out there on which I can write without it being a computer? I can't use notebooks as I have severe arthritis and I need digital copies to send to my publisher, anyway, so that makes a typewriter out of the question, too. Is there something else, something that only creates word documents that I can transfer to a computer without having to worry about it catching a virus or destroying my hard work? Thanks in advance.
Sixteen answers:
cooliomcpimp
2015-03-11 07:19:32 UTC
A lot of Windows 8 computers and Macintosh computers offer hard drive encryption to protect you, but I'm not sure it protects you from that.

Another option would be to use Google Drive to write your documents. Those are securely stored on Google's server under your account. Just don't use the desktop app. Google drive can be accessed from iPads, Android Tablets, Smart Phones, Laptops, and Desktops. A Chrome Book is also very unlikely to get an encryption virus.

If you continue to use the old computer make sure you are doing backups to USB drives or DVD backups. Also try not to use it for anything else except for sending emails and submitting your writings. It's probably easier just to go the separate device way though.
Michael
2015-03-10 22:07:08 UTC
While I am not aware of any such device besides possibly a tablet like a Microsoft Surface, I do have an idea for you.

If you are at all familiar with computers, you can download an Operating System known as Lucid Puppy Linux at puppylinux.org for free.

It is an operating system that lives on your USB Flash Drive, and it is tiny. It is capable of running even on computers from the era of Windows 95. After you set it up, you stick it in any computer you want and you have your computer running.

However, you should keep your documents on a cloud like OneDrive (Which does give away lots of free space). This way, you don't risk losing it so easily again. Personally, I like having my documents on a hard drive but the thing is you need to have a backup. Always.

Best of luck to you
?
2015-03-10 10:01:00 UTC
Two points before I say my point.

1) I sympathize with your data loss. It can be a great deal of frustration, especially for a professional writer.

2) I must admit that I am not familiar with some of those devices you're looking for, although I'm almost sure they do exist.

Now: computers are infected by viruses and other malware doe to people not understanding how to safely use their computers. User education is the key. The great majority of people don't know how to keep themselves safe on the internet. This goes into a number of areas, and is not just a few lines here on Yahoo Answers. With taking the proper precautions, one has nothing to worry. I suggest that you contact an IT professional who can advise you on today's internet security, privacy and safety. If possible, someone you personally know is preferred (by far). Techs at computer stores usually don't have the time and\or patience for the details.

Good luck :)
2015-03-10 11:11:30 UTC
Dear sir did you not know that you could have saved everything? Encryption virus doesn't really encrypt anything it just locked it with a bull crap ransom.

Their is several ways to back up your important stuff on a computer.

# 1system image on solid DVD or external drive.

#2 a partition on the internal hardrive.

#3 an online backup mega offers 50 gigs for free.

So my recommendation is get a windows 7 computer and password lock it.

Never ever use that computer for any purpose except to do your writing and after you write send a copy to mega via upload.

You won't catch a virus if you only upload files or send emails! Never use that computer to read emails or surf the internet and back up your computer Dailey to external drive.

And if you get a virus you use the system image and loose a days work at worst.

I am statesboros PC doctor. Google my number if you want me to make you a win 7 PC with libre office and advise you by phone..
Andy T
2015-03-11 17:18:01 UTC
Eh you mean a computer that is more like an appliance like stove, or toaster, well Chromebooks fit that nicely, using the cloud for storage and fork a copy in Word (or others) when you finish a milestone.

Tablets with keyboards would do nicely too, though they are more of a define-your-own-combo since they don't come with keyboards.
?
2015-03-10 11:15:46 UTC
SOrry but I recommend a notebook. I like to write and think while I take a dump I get some of my best ideas on the toilet.

Why not a computer not connected to the internet? Just remember to burn a CD once a week. There are also speech to text programs where you don't even have to type which makes writing super fast.
Smokies Hiker
2015-03-12 11:20:17 UTC
What you should do is purchase a laptop computer that is dedicated solely to your writing and isn't used to connect to the internet at all. Any device that connects to the internet is vulnerable to getting a virus of some kind. You can use your current computer to download any apps and anti virus software you desire, check them for viruses, then transfer it via a usb flash drive to the other computer. I have a laptop that is used solely for financial transactions and connects via a secured/protected browser. I never connect it to the internet using a "normal" browser like Yahoo, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Bing, etc.. Find and use a "secured" browser.
dallenmarket
2015-03-11 13:51:35 UTC
I can sympathize with you. I am a writer by profession also. I do all of my work in Word, as it is easier for publishers to accept and the newer versions of the old Apple app (originally called Clarisworks, later Appleworks and now Pages) absolutely suck! I use the Mac version of Word, which is completely compatible with the Windows version, but not bothered by Windows virii! I run Avaste, a freeware anti-virus program, because there are a few virii that can hurt Macs, but not the type you have encountered.

Here is something you might read and try. It discusses the encryption virus and how to get rid of it. read the article and see if it will help you recover your files. http://www.idigitaltimes.com/cryptolocker-virus-removal-how-decrypt-or-restore-encrypted-files-and-remove-ransomware-malware-free
Joss
2015-03-10 20:29:55 UTC
nope. nothing that i've heard of, but try the computer again. you need to back up your data regularly. use a flash drive, an external hard drive, and i even send a copy of all my manuscripts to my email. if you don't know what any of these things are then look them up and you can easily by them at a store like walmart or amazon. and if you have email, just email yourself the documents on your computer. thats how you save your work if your computer acts up again. good luck!
?
2015-03-12 18:01:36 UTC
Use a tablet with a bluetooth keyboard. then get an app that reads and writes .docx
Windowphobe
2015-03-10 16:05:58 UTC
You're the target market for the Hemingwrite.
?
2015-03-11 05:26:16 UTC
use final draft software, the files created in it are of a different extension which cannot be opened with word or any other editing software.
Ajay D
2015-03-19 03:26:09 UTC
Record your utterings in audio tapes. Send them to some unemployed Ph.D. in India to type and send back to you.
KingJames
2015-03-11 10:19:41 UTC
https://youtu.be/QOc25qZulaM, use a PC without a network card
Apaar
2015-03-10 11:43:14 UTC
Well,i think tablets would come handy in situations like yours.And please always make backup of your work in future.
bagellad
2015-03-11 07:59:38 UTC
why dont you just learn how to backup your data?