Question:
I have two questions about Windows Xp and Vista...?? 10 POINTS!!!!?
Wrakmo!
2007-09-25 07:49:27 UTC
1- My windows xp installed on my computer is not a legal copy, everytime I try to install windows media player 11, it says your copy of windows is not genuine... blablabla... I now know it is not a legal copy. I have a cd of a genuine copy of windows xp, I want to reinstall Windows xp but I don't know how to, and I don't know if all my documents, files, and data are gonna be deleted...?? Help!!

2- If I install Windows Vista instead of reinstalling Windows xp, Will my data be deleted? Will some of the programs I have installed still work? Will my computer work normally with it?

Note: My computer is an Hp Desktop pc...
Fifteen answers:
TheHumbleOne
2007-09-25 07:59:27 UTC
Invest in some external storage - an external USB hard drive or flashdrives.

Copy/backup any files you want.

Now uninstall XP, and install the genuine copy.

Vista may or may not run older programs. You can research the specs of the software, or simply try. Here is info on XP versus Vista:

Vista – Some products will not work

Opinion: The big secret at Redmond is that existing applications and and new products will not work with Vista.

Microsoft really doesn't want you to know this, but many of your existing applications won't work with Vista. In fact, some brand new products won't work with Vista.

At the top of that list of "It doesn't work," we find, believe it or not, Microsoft new music player, Zune. Yes, that's right; Microsoft's iPod killer doesn't work with Vista.

Not only will Zune not work with Vista, it also doesn't work with all media files that are protected with Windows Media DRM (Digital Rights Management). So much for PlaysForSure!

Microsoft promises that Zune will eventually work with Vista, but don't you find it a little scary that the boys from Redmond couldn't get their number one Christmas toy to work with their number one operating system?

Moving closer to business, let's take Microsoft's recently released scripting system, PowerShell. This scripting language, formerly known as Monad, would have made Vista management much easier ... except it doesn't work on Vista. Server 2003 and XP, yes. Vista, no.

Go to the source link to read the rest.

Source: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2062318,00.asp?kc=EWNKT0209KTX1K0100440

Vista – more than you want to know

Source: http://www.theeldergeekvista.com/

I've said it before, I'll say it again. If you're running a system that is already marginal, don't bother moving to Vista, even if it is possible. You'll absolutely hate it within minutes of completing the installation. The idea that Vista will run on 512MB of RAM is a joke. It will crawl and gasp for life on 512MB, but what it won't do is perform in a manner that 95% of users will find acceptable. Dump Vista on a machine with a marginal processor, graphics card, and memory and you'll say "WOW" alright, but it won't be a good WOW - I assure you of that.

Source: Source: http://www.theeldergeekvista.com/

First, you should run the Vista Advisor which will let you know if your computer meets Vista requirements. Download here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradeadvisor.mspx

MS Vista – Pros and Cons

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=272182

2007-09-27 01:33:21 UTC
If your talking about files like Word documents, jpeg, avi, mp3. these shouldn't be affected when re-installing an OS. But it would be good to make a back up copy of all the files that you are terribly afraid to lost.. lose.. loose! (there!) before doing your great idea of installing a GENUINE WINDOWS.

Its not that Windows will crash when you do the re-installation, its the PC and Hardware Devices and other Programs you use that might cause you some headaches and prevents you to use it after you finish the job.

Reformating your HD before installing your Genuine Windows is much better than just overwriting your illegal version. If you do that be sure you have all device drivers and Application Installers that you need to re-apply also and make sure you know how to install it again.

That's all I can say about XP, about Vista? I prepare XP to use

There's a good link below to guide you on how to install XP, it's very easy. Just read on, follow it step by step.

Good Luck
2007-09-25 07:59:16 UTC
You can backup all your data before reinstalling your operating system (XP or Vista). Put all your music, videos, photos, documents and the set-ups of important software in external storage disks (CD, DVD, flash drive etc.). Now insert your Windows XP installer CD (or Windows Vista CD, after you buy it), and restart your computer. If your computer boot s first from the CD-ROM drive, then installation will automatically start. Follow on-screen instructions, do a "clean" reinstall of Windows, and enter your genuine license key. All these should be over within 30 - 45 minutes (installation of Windows Vista will take longer time). However, if your computer boots from your hard disk before your CD-ROM drive, then you have to make changes in the Boot Order of your BIOS. This job is ONLY for experts, so seek the help of someone who knows how to configure the BIOS (I would tell you, but you can end up crashing your system with the slightest mistake).

:)
$S$
2007-09-25 08:02:55 UTC
Ans 1 : Upgrading to Media Player 11, you will get this error for sure, if u r using Pirated Copy. To install a Legal WindowsXP Copy, My suggestion is take your backup on CD/DVD, or another HDD, do a Clean Format and Install from the Legal Copy and then Upgrade Media Player 11.

Ans 2 : Vista Requires NTFS File System rather than WinXP, XP can be installed on FAT32. If your file system is NOT NTFS then you'll have to make it NTFS before installing Vista. By don't worry Microsoft had added this facility in Vista Setup that Formats the HDD to NTFS, if it founds it in FAT32 Format.

Both ways I'll suggest you to just backup the system, have the setup's of ur installed programs ready, and just format it.

My personal Suggestion, VISTA is not as cool as it looks, if you don't have a VERY URGENT need of it, then stick to the XP.
James F
2007-09-25 07:59:19 UTC
1.

Go here:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035_11-5034890.html

Located there is a way to change your product key on the current machine, it requires no reinstall and once you do, as long as its a valid CD key you should have to re-activate and then it will say you have a genuine copy of XP. If you do reinstall XP you will have to format your hard drive to get rid of the old OS.

2. Installing windows Vista depends on the version, the upgrade version will keep all your files, the Full version will be like reinstalling XP again, it will erase everything and install. All your programs should work with Vista as its the same file system (NTFS) as XP. Check your computer to see if it can handle vista by going here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradeadvisor.mspx
U_S_S_Enterprise
2007-09-25 08:01:04 UTC
1) A repair option should not erase anything.

BUT...

Considering it is Windows - you should make sure that you have a backup of all your important files. (Documents, MP3, pictures etc.)

Best option - make sure you have CD and CD-Key.

Make sure you have all backed up. (To CD, DVD or external harddrive)

Restart PC and boot (start) from the Windows CD.

Choose to install windows - but FORMAT the C drive first.

This will give you a clean install and should provide you with a functioning, legal windows, provided you have a good and legal key.

2) Forget about Vista. It demands more from your hardware, so you`d need to double (at least) your memory.

Do a clean install of XP instead. And, get all updates etc. BEFORE you install any other programs.
karlasmile5537
2007-09-25 08:03:02 UTC
If you wanted to install a genuine XP, make sure you make a back up files just to be confident that you have copies with all of your files. Its just easy to install XP , if that is genuine, look for the codes , if its EOPM copy look for the sticker where u can find the codes, if its paper licensed you can find the code through there as well..it is user friendly just follow each prompt

if you wanted to install vista instead make sure your pc passed the system requirements, better check the memory first, vista has a higher requirements, you can surf for more information for the system requirements. visit microsoft site
kennilope
2007-09-25 07:54:50 UTC
YES all data will be lost if u reinstalled WINDOWS.

backup all u'r important file to a seperate drive and reinstall xp.

if u have the legal xp cd key

go put in the new cd key and it should work and let u install media player 11 and the update.

installing vista will delete everything on that drive too.

it will erase the xp.. cause those two are different.

backup.

like me

get two hard drives

one for OS

one for data, pic, movies, musics, doc.

in that way when u'r computer got a virus or wont' work.

you will alway have your data there.
2016-04-06 04:28:11 UTC
Well, I was 100% happy with XP, but just got a new computer and it has Vista. I was sure I would hate it, given the bad press it's gotten. However, I really like it and haven't had a problem with it yet -- of course, I've only been using it 5 days and don't do any gaming.
perk2u_wi
2007-09-25 08:04:49 UTC
You should try doing a "Repair" Install with your Legal Windows XP disk

When you boot up to the WindowsXP Installation disk, you are prompted with two options..

1. Install Windows

2. Press "R" For Repair

Chose #1. Install Windows

On the second screen, you are going to see another option that says "Press R for Repair" . This is the one you chose. Follow the onscreen directions on how to repair the version of windows already installed on your computer.

Keep in mind, when it comes time to "Name" your computer , you have two options here. You can name your account exactly what you had it before DAVE . When windows is done repairing your system, and you go to look in your "MyDocuments" folder. You will see Dave and Dave00

The DAVE folder is where all of your original items will be, and the DAVE00 folder is the new default user.

What you will need to do so that DAVE00 has your saved files, is you will need to move them from DAVE to DAVE00. In their respective folders. Such as Dave\MyDocuments over to Dave00\MyDocuments , mymusic etc.. etc.. etc..

You will also need to reinstall all of your programs, games, antivirus software and get all of your windows updates again.

Once you have removed all of your "created" files, Downloads, Music, Address book, Documents from the Dave folder, you can go ahead and remove it from Control Panel / Users.

If you don't want to be stuck with an account named "Dave00", then when you are asked what you wish to name your computer, you need to come up with a completely different name, David or Davy , and once created, you will not have an odd looking name such as DAVE00, but all the folder switching will still apply here.

Another option would be , just back up all of your data, and do a fresh install from the first screen and continue with the fresh install on the second screen after you boot up to the WindowsXP cd. I will leave this up to you and hope that you understand the proceedures you will need to go through, to get your new account up to par with the account you had been using on the illegal version.

Good Luck

P.S. I noticed above my responce, someone by the name of James , suggested you just go ahead and change your product key. This can only be done if you are using the EXACT same version legally that you did illegally.

An example to that is....

If your Illegal Version installed now, is WindowsXP Professional or with SP1

And your new disk is WindowsXP Professional sp2

The code for the New Legal Disk will not work on your current install

Same goes for... If your Running WindowsXP Professional , and your new disk is Windows XP Home , the product key for your legal Windows disk will not work.

And last but not least....... If your running WindowsXP Professional and you updated it to SP2 using the online update and your new legal disk is Windows XP Professional w/ SP2 , the product key will not work

The only way the new product key will work is if your illegal version matches your legal version
2007-09-25 08:03:43 UTC
Copy your work to Cd's then install xp or vista data will be lost if you let the computer be formatted, data will be there if not formatted but programs will not work you have to re install them one by one. if your computer can handle vista go for it, if not stick to xp.
2007-09-25 07:53:41 UTC
XP install over will not hurt it or lose any files. i would not reconend vista, it is not ready and non reversable. stick with Xp, you will not lose any settings, or files with the new XP,to reinstall XP just put the cd in and restart the computer and it should come up, if it is not a cd just open the file and follow instrustions, easy as 123 - if you format the comptuer you will lose data, but not if you just repair or re-install, the people dont know their stuff
2007-09-25 07:55:00 UTC
First up, back up all your files, photos, videos etc etc to cd or dvd as reformating will erase your hard drive, then instal the cd into the cd-rom, it should run automaticaly, just follow the prompts.
2007-09-25 08:18:33 UTC
i guess would be better if u install a genuine version of XP and then upgrade .It should allow you to upgrade from XP to Vista is pretty easy but i am not sure if it can detect that you have a pirated version.

If you upgrade from XP to vista u will retain ur docuents and files.

I can give u a step by step account of how to install XP if you want.

ok ill do it anyways.

First you gotta insert the XP cd into ur cd drive.

restart your computer and enter bios im not sure which button lets u get into bios setting on Hp on a dell its F2

Once your into bios go to boot sequence and make sure the cd drive is listed first you can use the "U" button or up rrow to move it up or "D' or down arron to move it down .then hit f10 will ask you to save and exit.Remeber your mouse wont work while your in the bios (basic input output system) fyi.

The computer will boot make sure your attentive the screen will flash and then say press any key to boot from cd.

Hit enter or spacebar any key will do.

You will see "setup is checking your hardware configuration" on your screen.

At this stage setup will load files needed for minimal version of XP onto the memory sitback. It will be a blue or black screen and you will see names of files that are being copied at the bottom.

After few mins you will see the license agreement.

Hit F8 to accept the license agreement read it before u hit F8 if u want to.

It will search for previous versions of windows on ur hard drive if it finds one will ask you if u wanna repair it .

Is better to do a fresh install hit esc.

Then it will load screen where you have to format the hard drive .

Will show current configuration of your hard drive remember Xp needs atleast 2GB of free space .

You can use C to create a partition on upartionted space and then will ask you to enter how big a partition you want in Megabytes

1gb=1024mb

so make sure you enter 2048 and hit enter it will create a parition slect it and hit enter to install XP on that partition.

It will ask you what file system you want it to format it with i recommend you select NTFS. And hit enter it will format the hdd with NTFS file system you will see the progress bar once its done it will load files needed for graphical user interface installation of Xp so sit back get a drink or something wont be long.

Once its done it will reboot your computer.this time dont hit any key when it asks you to press any key to boot from cd.

Ull see windows Xp screen for lil while and will start the graphical user interface.

A blue screen telling you about features of XP

It will load a few files and then ask you for the Product key

Its a 25 digit alphanumeric no you should have it with the genunne version of XP.If not on the jewel case of cd look for it on ur computer tower that is if the Cd came with ur system.

will ask for regional settings and keyboard settings hit enter

Then will ask you to enter name and organization

Type in ur name.

Then will ask for computer name if ur comp is part of domain ull need to ask your admin for computer name of simply just let it take the default name.

Hit enter .

hen will ask the time zone you are in .use drop down box to select place where u are or time zone u are in

.

Will load few files .

then will detect ur netwrok card and install drivers for it then will ask you for network setting.

Select typical and hit enter.

Will ask u if ur computer is part of domain or workgroup is beter to select workgroup.

Then just sit back and let Xp do its thing it will configure and save setting delete temporay files and restart computer.

Make sure u dont hit any keys let xp load

Walah u have XP

next time u restart computer go back into Bios and select the hard drive as primary boot device
2007-09-25 07:58:18 UTC
Ask an expert. Don't rely people here in ANSWERS.YAHOO.COM